The story behind the longest rainout suspension in history for the 204-minute KT-Hanwha match on the 17th

In the second game of the doubleheader between KT Wiz and Hanwha Eagles held at Hanwha Life Eagles Park in Daejeon on the 17th, a true record was created: the longest rain stoppage in KBO League history. The game, which was suspended at 6:33 p.m. due to heavy rain, resumed at 9:57 p.m. after all ground maintenance was completed. After waiting for a whopping 3:24 (204 minutes), the game was resumed and ended at 11:26 p.m. Players, club officials, and fans who came out to play the first game of the doubleheader, which started at 2 p.m., had to spend the day at the baseball stadium.

This is the result of the referee’s ‘perseverance(?)’ as they could no longer postpone the game in a situation where the remaining game schedule was tight. Hanwha, who suffered a cold game loss in the 6th inning against the LG Twins in Daejeon on the 15th, just two days ago, had no choice but to tilt their heads.먹튀검증

Hanwha coach Choi Won-ho said before the Daejeon KT game on the 18th, “The pitchers were able to warm up and go out because the game was stopped for more than three hours, but it was okay, but the bats of the batters did not work well. “The KT players’ bats also looked heavy,” he said. Manager Choi said, “During the three-hour stoppage, I spent a meeting with the coaches on pitching management,” and added, “The Daejeon stadium uses the dirt used in the major leagues. This soil has clay content, so it is not easy to manage when wet. So, there are aspects that take time to maintain the ground. There were many wet areas on the grass, so there was a risk of injury. “KT players were also seen to be careful,” he said, expressing his disappointment with the referee’s decision. He said, “I did convey this to the referee. It is the role of a professional team to show a good game to the audience. But yesterday, I think we played for the sake of the game,” he said.

KT, who waited the same amount of time, had similar thoughts. In the bottom of the 5th inning, when the team was ahead 3-1, the game was stopped when Hanwha’s leadoff hitter, Hyunbin Moon, was at bat, so the visiting team was unable to say anything. Players moved by bus or took a short break in the locker room to wait. KT coach Lee Kang-cheol spent time watching the SSG Landers-LG Twins game on TV, whether it was taking place at Jamsil Stadium.

Coach Lee said, “I thought it wasn’t a bad idea to call a no game due to the team’s lack of pitching resources. He said, “I had to wait as the referees showed their intention to go ahead with it.” At the same time, he raised the need for revision of one regulation. On this day, KT starting pitcher Wes Benjamin mentioned the rule that required him to go on the mound after resting for 3 hours and 24 minutes, throw the ‘Arirang ball’, and then come back down. This was because of the rule that the pitcher on the mound in that inning must face one batter. Manager Lee said, “If the rain stoppage lasts for a long time, there needs to be a rule that allows pitchers to be replaced. “I think only then will we be able to prevent injuries to players,” he pointed out.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *